Hello guys and welcome back! I hope you all are doing well!
If you guys were unaware, I started my Etsy shop a little while back. It’s called NerdCentral13 and can be found here. I sell nerd related items for the most part.
But with starting and running an Etsy shop there are some not so glorious things that people don’t usually talk about much.
This is not to say I don’t love my Etsy shop. Because I do. It is my baby and I am very proud of it and all that I have done in such a short period of time. I am super excited to see what the future holds as my shop is still very young
- Success will NOT happen over night. It is very slow. People need time to find your shop and to make the decision whether or not to buy your product. Once you start getting the sales, more will trickle in. People want to know that you are trustworthy and your products are as advertised. This is something I knew going in, when starting my shop which is a case of patience is very much a virtue.
- You will have to spend money to make money. I don’t mean just on the cost of materials for your products but on advertising. Etsy and Google make it easy to help get your name out there but it isn’t free. You can set your daily limit but just remember, you need to have backup funding until your shop takes off. So don’t quit your job thinking this will pay all your bills. It may one day, just not at first!
- Social media will become key. You will need to “pimp” your shop and products out. This should be done on the regular with lots of hashtags to bring as much awareness to you and your shop as you can.
- Which brings me to the most important one. Time. You will never have enough. You will never estimate enough. You will have to miss out on some fun real world things to meet deadlines. Sometimes you will have to say no to opportunities because of time. But make sure to keep it fun and have a balance between your shop and life!
- Not everything will turn out right every time. This one has been a hard one for me. It’s very frustrating when something gets messed up or ruined. It’s okay to fail and have to start over. It happens to everyone and will happen to you.
- Love what you make. Every. Single. Time. Many shops make a number of different items but find that customers flock to one particular item over the others. In that case you will have to make a lot of that one thing.
I’m not saying don’t open a shop. I’m actually saying the opposite. Stop waiting around. Do it. Go for it. Don’t let anything stand in your way. But know, going in to it that these are the not so glamorous parts of it. Go in with eyes wide open.
So have your own Etsy shop? Drop your links in the comments!
Stay classy and sassy guys! ❤